Sunday, 19 April 2009

Suzie Homemaker gets a new toy


In the beginning of March I ordered the blender of my dreams. I somehow convinced Philip to allow me to spend a bit more on a kitchen appliance that normal. My heart was set on the kind of blender that Starbucks and Jamba Juice uses. I've always loved smoothies. After MUCH desperate lobbying, I finally sold Philip on the idea and ordered one.

The first one I ordered I found out couldn't be shipped to an APO address (I REALLY TAKE ISSUE WITH THIS - it happens a LOT - I just want to say, "excuse me, military members are putting their lives on the line for you but you are unwilling to fill out a customs form and do business with us?!?!?" it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth). When you do find a business to ship to you it can take AGES. The blender was no exception. I have been anxiously awaiting ever since the first week in March for the package to arrive. I actually finally gave up and asked to have the insurance process started for lost mail. However on Saturday it came!

Saturday am was actually a kind of bummer morning sans the blender arrival. I woke up early and got ready to go to a furniture sale (NAF for all of you military types - so it would have been NICE stuff very affordable). We arrived and found out it had taken place on Friday - only the email I got said "Saturday the 17th." I was really dissapointed as we are in desperate need for another bed for visitors by the end of May. We drove to the other base to check the mail. My spirits were temporarily lifted by the arrival of the blender. Next, we went to pick up a package at a British post office - at first we went to the wrong one (they actually have some post offices in grocery stores here, it's a bit odd). The place it actually was supposed to be was closed but it has now taken us so long to coordinate efforts to get it, I'm pretty sure the package (a gift from one of the potteries in England for some friends) got sent back so I'm going to have to track it down and repay shipping. GRR. 1 out of 3 for Saturday morning.

Today was better. Church was great - the kids did their Easter program. Philip & I helped Matt out with junior high Sunday school - ALWAYS interesting. I love that "prayer request" time turns into "this is what is going on in my life" time --- which there is nothing bad about but really, sharing about taking your cat to the vet because he makes a "foul smell" all over the sofa (the whole story: this cat got brought to the vet, the vet lifted its tail, the cat went all over causing this girl's pregnant mom to throw up..... and the prayer request/praise report is?!?!)

I made chili tonight and we had Matt over for dinner (Jana is traveling all over the Pacific for work for a month). I did a British meal - a "jacket potato" (baked potato) w/ topping. I made chili. The boys still opted to have their chili on a bowl instead of the potato but everything passed the test of approval/edibility. It was the first time I had made chili and it turned out nicely so I was happy about that (I made hot stuff for them and a tame vegetarian version for me).

We then sat down to watch a really dumb movie. I knew it was bad news when Matt said Jana thought it was ridiculous. . . it was "A Mighty Wind" - a "comedy" about folk music. My advice: stay clear. The boys loved it though. I'm really missing having Jana around - I was definitely feeling a bit outnumbered as I sat looking horrified at the tv screen shaking my head amidst the male laughter.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Glad you're able to put all those debate skills to work. I dare say though, his giving in might be related to being on the receiving end of something delicious

cpearson said...

Dear Suzy Homemaker,
At least you admit to the MUCH desperate lobbying. Philip might have to call into the Dave Ramsey show and find out what to do when his wife is in that mode.
Sorry to hear about the difficulty in getting ahold of that package. Some simple things can sure become complicated.
Have fun with that blender!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joy,
This is your favorite brother-in-law. I can imagine the 'negotiations' that took place for you to acquire the blender of your dreams. Too bad about the other two things though. Make a smoothie in my name.