
Since I've started my job I've gained a lot of perspective and valuable understanding about what it feels like to not be a member of majority culture. I see this as valuable for me as an individual but particularly as a therapist. The truth is, I've always been the privilidged white girl in pretty WASPy (white anglo saxon protestant) circles. You can't read about what it is like to be "the only one in the room" and truly get it. You have to be there. I am there.
At work, I look like everyone else (okay, well I'm about 30 pounds heavier than most of the patients) but every time I open my mouth it is very obvious that I am different (*I had to laugh the other day, someone asked if I was from Canada --- obviously a less contriversial place than the US - someone later pointed out to me that you may not want to "accuse" a Canadian of being an American, but the other way around isn't so dangerous*). By no means am I discriminated against, but I have begun to be able to appreciate the challenges and extra stress that the obstacles that become inherent to everyday life are when you aren't like everyone around you. I'm starting to better understand being on the outside looking in.
Some times I feel like it can be a bit of a barrier to work to push through when building trust and relating with the girls (most of the time I tell myself I'm imagining it) because I don't feel completely "at home." The disease is the exact same in the US and the UK, but the context of lives and understanding and communicating of experiences is prounouncedly different.
The other day during after-meal supervision I was playing Scattegories with a group of the girls. For those of you who aren't familiar, you roll a dice with the alphabet on it and then are given a category where you name everything you can think of that starts with that letter. After the time is up, you compare lists and if you have any items no one else does, you receive points. Well, the other day the category was "shop names" (over here stores are called shops). I of course was clueless of British stores starting with "N." The only American ones I could think of were Nordstroms & Neiman Marcus (I figured London must at least have Neiman Marcus). I read my list and just got blank, confused looks (but we all laughed and they admitted I could write anything and they'd just have to believe me). It's just a game, but it's a little thing that could really make someone feel like they were very much on the outside if they weren't integrated into majority culture and kind of having a hard day to start with. I wasn't bothered, just intrigued by the insight I gained by a simple boardgame.
Words are very different here. There is a serious difference between British English and American English. Sometimes I can't understand what they are saying (and feel stupid asking more than once for them to repeat what was said) and other times I cannot infer from the context of a conversation what the meaning of a word is so I can't follow what is being said.
I interviewed for an new position at work (more about that some other time - it was a wild week which is why the blog was neglected) and one of my interview questions was was if and how the new position could challenge me. I explained that honestly, each day at work is a cultural challenge and growing opportunity for me. One of the nurses interviewing me said she could related as she was in a similar situation when she dated a Marine and worked in the US for a while. Good, I'm not completely crazy (yes, I did qualify that statement with the word completely).
Off to bed so I can be out the door and on the A11 for my 0630 commute!
At work, I look like everyone else (okay, well I'm about 30 pounds heavier than most of the patients) but every time I open my mouth it is very obvious that I am different (*I had to laugh the other day, someone asked if I was from Canada --- obviously a less contriversial place than the US - someone later pointed out to me that you may not want to "accuse" a Canadian of being an American, but the other way around isn't so dangerous*). By no means am I discriminated against, but I have begun to be able to appreciate the challenges and extra stress that the obstacles that become inherent to everyday life are when you aren't like everyone around you. I'm starting to better understand being on the outside looking in.
Some times I feel like it can be a bit of a barrier to work to push through when building trust and relating with the girls (most of the time I tell myself I'm imagining it) because I don't feel completely "at home." The disease is the exact same in the US and the UK, but the context of lives and understanding and communicating of experiences is prounouncedly different.
The other day during after-meal supervision I was playing Scattegories with a group of the girls. For those of you who aren't familiar, you roll a dice with the alphabet on it and then are given a category where you name everything you can think of that starts with that letter. After the time is up, you compare lists and if you have any items no one else does, you receive points. Well, the other day the category was "shop names" (over here stores are called shops). I of course was clueless of British stores starting with "N." The only American ones I could think of were Nordstroms & Neiman Marcus (I figured London must at least have Neiman Marcus). I read my list and just got blank, confused looks (but we all laughed and they admitted I could write anything and they'd just have to believe me). It's just a game, but it's a little thing that could really make someone feel like they were very much on the outside if they weren't integrated into majority culture and kind of having a hard day to start with. I wasn't bothered, just intrigued by the insight I gained by a simple boardgame.
Words are very different here. There is a serious difference between British English and American English. Sometimes I can't understand what they are saying (and feel stupid asking more than once for them to repeat what was said) and other times I cannot infer from the context of a conversation what the meaning of a word is so I can't follow what is being said.
I interviewed for an new position at work (more about that some other time - it was a wild week which is why the blog was neglected) and one of my interview questions was was if and how the new position could challenge me. I explained that honestly, each day at work is a cultural challenge and growing opportunity for me. One of the nurses interviewing me said she could related as she was in a similar situation when she dated a Marine and worked in the US for a while. Good, I'm not completely crazy (yes, I did qualify that statement with the word completely).
Off to bed so I can be out the door and on the A11 for my 0630 commute!
No comments:
Post a Comment