Thursday, 25 June 2009

The end of the beginning.

This week marks the end of the beginning. Philip's first commander and his family left the country. So did our best friends. There's been a sense of a lot of loss.

Matt & Jana got back from Africa on Monday. It was great to have them home with us (Clio was glad they were home too), though they were CRAAAAZY busy outprocessing this week. Last night we went out with a bunch of friends for a last dinner. Last night Philip & Matt sang cowboy songs for the final time in the living room while Jana and I sat exhaused on the sofa. There were tears. This morning we had breakfast, prayed and said our last goodbyes. Tonight we came home to a house that felt very empty (no dog, no boxes --- they've been keeping a bunch of their stuff at our house but it was shipped yesterday, no suitcases, no Allens).

Men's Bible Study / Accountability Group --- they met over lunch.
George, Jim, Matt and the "little brother" Philip

Some of the clan from The Last Supper.


Philip's squadron had change of command this week. Philip was so blessed to have such an incredible mentor and example for his first boss. I was blessed to be able to learn from April, as she was the quinticential officer's wife. I was dissapointed I couldn't be there for the ceremony on Tuesday, but Philip said it was really difficult saluting Lt Col Whatley for the final time and watching them leave, April in tears.


Philip w/ the drum Allens brought us from Africa. I'm going to miss harassing Matt about his "worldly" cowyboy song lyrics and telling him "Matt, I'm really uncomfortable with that kind of language"

In a few weeks, Philip will have his 1st lieutenant promotion. The end of the beginning. What an incredible beginning it has been.

2 comments:

cpearson said...

You were certainly blessed to have the Whatleys and Allens in your life for the first half of your England adventure in the Air Force. I'm sure they would say the same about having the Leres in their lives.

Laura said...

I know you'll miss them greatly. I'm wondering though, how much you'll miss the cowboy songs-maybe not so much. We trust the Lord will continue to provide friends along the way as well allow you to be good friends to many.