The precious two weeks that I had with Philip has come and gone. Saying goodbye was not fun. Especially knowing that he's going to have an incredibly stressful, difficult last five weeks of work in England. Instead of just getting to focus on packing up and leaving, he's going to be putting some long office hours which will make the former even more challenging and stressful. *sad face*
Come on NOVEMBER! (we signed a lease last week, so really hoping things don't go awry with the assignment now!!!)
We had a great time this week. Here's a glimpse at what was happening in DC for Philip and Joy:
he got to meet some of my classmates at a bbq and also at a post-neuroanatomy-lecture happy hour. It was great getting to show him "my world" I know that people energy is running low as he is recovering from a draining 8 months, so it meant so much that he was willing to engage in a couple of people-energy-draining social activites with the "crazy doctors". We are quite a crew. . .
Philip and Matt enjoyed some Crossfit action. . .
Yesterday, Philip and I made a trip to Arlington National Cemetery.
It's really interesting for me being in D.C. I remember going to the Vietnam Memorial Wall and Arlington as a teenager when I was here in 2000 and 2002. I could have never dreamed that I would live here someday. I definitely could have never dreamed what the experience of visiting these places is like when you are part of the military family and culture in this country. Certainly, I never would have thought that I would visit these places hand in hand with my husband when he returned from a war himself.
Philip watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown SoldierTHIS is a picture of courage, valor and heroism:
When we watched the changing of the guard the second time, I actually spent most of my time observing a large group of WW2 veterans that had come for the ceremony. It was incredibly powerful standing there among these men who were part of the greatest generation in this nation. I wish I could have sat all afternoon with each of them and listened to their stories. I wish I could have thanked every single one of them personally.
I can't imagine what an overhwelming experience it must be for these men to visit these places. To remember. Remember the things they pray our world will never forget. Remember the things they maybe wish they could. . .
I bid Philip farewell tonight. It was not fun. It was not easy. But our sacrifices pale in comparison to those who have gone before us. For those individuals, we will be forever grateful.
1 comment:
1) Tonight will be another "first night" - the kind that are the hardest
2) I had to look close at the picture of Lt. Lere with facial hair. Have I seen that much before? Has Philip been hanging around Josh lately??
3) Yes, who would have thought that after being in D.C. as a 4-H'er you would return as a wife of an Air Force man - traveling on your own in the city, studying in the city, seeing again many symbols of our nation's history, remembering those who have served before you.
Praying for you and Philip, for His strength as you adjust again.
Much love, Mom
Post a Comment