After six months of evenings and weekends clocking the needed 200 hours of study time and a nauseating number of practice exams and flashcards I took my licensing exam. And passed. I was nervous enough about not passing that I could count the number of people who knew I was taking the exam on one hand. My boss exclaimed, "I can't believe you didn't tell me!" To which I responded that the fact that I didn't nicely lays out on platter some of my personal intrapsychic dynamics about failure, shame, and anxiety. It was a huge, huge relief. I had decided that I didn't want our summer to be colored by having it hang over me. I wanted it knocked out before we had company. Before our vacation (that's another story for another day. . . stay tuned :) I was so glad I did. Never mind that every time we move I still have to go through a very very harrowing licensure process, but the exam part was at least done for-evah.
The week following the exam victory we got to celebrate Philip's graduation from National Defense University's College of Interational Security Affairs. In many ways graduation was bittersweet because the end of what was an incredibly year of being submersed in academia in a way that was unbelievably fulfilling, challenging, and intellectually engaging marked the beginning of getting ready to transition back to Afghanistan. We felt like we blinked and the academic year had passed.
1 comment:
Wanna know what I did in June? Picked rocks and fought with weeds.
I enjoyed these photos - had not seen many of them. I'm proud of my east coast "students."
Post a Comment