Thursday, 15 May 2008

The Great Theological Debate

So, Philip and I got home from the gym and were sitting at the dinner table. I said the blessing last night and asked the Lord why he did not create the yippie dog outside our door --that has been barking incessantly for over an hour-- mute.
The next thing I know Philip is asking me about predestination. (I later asked how we got to the Calvinism - Arminism debate right off the bat at the dinner table and he said that he was thinking about God creating the dog to bark). Ohhh boy. . . Philip and I couldn't agree more about eternal security (we began having some interesting discussions about that five years ago) so I assumed he'd be a hardcore tulip Calvinist. I guess we'd never really discussed the election piece of things. The whole idea of election is a huge struggle. It's so difficult to wrap my finite mind around an infinite God somedays. This issue is no exception. I did start to play devil's advocate though to see where exactly he fell into the Arminian camp even though he holds a firm Calvinist view on eternal security. I was challening the implications of choice as related to this subject. We discussed "Jacob I have loved, Esau I have hated" (which was once explained to me very well - elected nations still must decide for themselves - just look at today's Israel. . . which is a whole OTHER debate - who is Israel? the church? the nation of Israel??). I then announced I was going to the garage to get my theology class notes. We both said at the same time as I was marching out the door "bringing out the big guns!!!!" Time to talk prevenient vs. irresistable grace. It was funny.

It was great to look though the material. I took my theology class as a summer school intensive 2-week course (theology ALL DAY LONG - it was draining but soooooo good)from my absolutely favorite profesor in the Biblical Studies dept. - Dr. Muska. Looking at everything really made me miss Dr. Muska. I was so challenged by and learned so so so much from this man. He was the professor who you would plan your entire semester schedule around to have as an instructor. I grappled so much in those two weeks of being confronted with reeeeally hard questions.

Reflecting on and remembering my experience made me a little bit sad that my brother isn't going to Northwestern. As I look back at the academic rigor of the institution I am so grateful that I spent three of the most life-changing years of my life there. I appreicate the intense prepraration I received to be marketable in the workplace and the fact that after my undergrad experience graduate school - challegning though it may be - kind of feels like a breeze, but more than any of that is the spiritual growth that occured on that campus as I went through the coursework for my second required major in biblical studies. I was surrounded by people who challenged me, sharpened me, spurred me on and fostered a flourishing understanding and clearer realization of Christ's love and grace and the incredible gift we have been given by having His Word.

I miss Dr. Muska. I miss Northwestern. And that stupid dog is still barking. . .

1 comment:

ShannonK said...

JOY! Glad to see you and Philip are back together. I just caught up on your last few posts! Yes, remember the olives is important and I'm so glad you have that mindset as my time in the military family proved to have lots of people that didn't remember that lesson.

I was reading this post and remember I took the same theology course with Muska at NWC, what an amazing class, it's the one class that I wished wasn't 2 weeks long, though totally pumped for each day those weeks! You make me want to pull out my notes and quizzes and read over everything! :)

Love you darling!
-Shannon