Tuesday, 19 October 2010

I'm not a wife, I'm your witch!

 I married into a families that LOVES "The Princess Bride".  I'm prettysure that between the four of them, the Leres could quote the whole movie.  One of our favorite scenes/lines is "I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!" (pictured below)

Sometimes I like to tell Philip, "I'm not a wife, I'm your witch"


Don't get me wrong.  I'm not into the witch thing.  I stay as far away from it as I can because I don't believe that kind of stuff, even in it's most innocent, cutsie form is good.  I grew up in a house where we didn't celebrate Halloween. My kids probably won't celebrate Halloween. . . but I couldn't help myself on Sunday when I was helping M&J move things from the flooded basement to the garage and I opened a tub of Halloween decorations to find this terrific hat.  I wore it while I talked to Philip on Skype.  We were quite entertained.

I'm at the front desk at the clinic again tonight.  This is my story for the day:  Didn't get to the metro as soon as I wanted due to accidently sleeping later than planned, so the lots/garages were full.  I was prepared to feed the meter, so I paid the $2/hour fee to cover the four hours I'd need to get to class and back.  I then came all the way back to Vienna, MOVED my car into a lot (which starts to open up a bit after noon), headed back to campus, went to the gym and then headed over to the clinic. I ended up paying twice as much for parking and had to buy two more metro trips just to move the stupid car, but oh well.  Cheaper than getting a ticket I suppose. 

AND on the way home, I sat across from this HORRIBLE poster on the metro.  It was awful.  I couldn't look forward for 30 minutes (and turns out on the metro, all you want to do is look forward!).  I tried not to squirm but had to escape to another seat when one opened up at the end of the line.  I tried to just be grown up and endure it but I couldn't. . .. GROSS!!!!!!!! (I'm a HUGE rodentphobe for those of you who don't know. . . if it's small and furry I don't want to see it.  I'm even scared of hamsters. . .  pretty pathetic.  I probably wouldn't make a very good 3rd grade teacher because let me tell you there would be NO cutsie animal life living in our classroom unless it was a fish, reptile, arachnid or insect. . .)




On a much more comforting/nontraumatic note. . .
Starting to get super super SUPER excited for Philip arriving on the 1st (fingers crossed).  He's had a pretty horrendous month as there's been so much outprocessing to do and a LOT of difficult work stuff, a big inspection AND training in a new lieutenant that greeted him back from the deployment, but we're soon to the finish line.  We've been dreaming of November since last DECEMBER.  And it's SOON HERE!!!

He has been such a star.  I can't get over it.  I'm not doing the lame, annoying brag-about-my-great-husband thing but seriously, the garbage, red tape, politics and stress that was piled on him the last four weeks has been hideous, and he has handled it so well.  Not easy to do during return-from-deployment culture shock/transition.  I certainly wouldn't say it's been an easy marriage month, but he's just been SUCH a trooper.  Fast shipment of household goods is picked up tomorrow!

Counting down the days. . .

3 comments:

cpearson said...

rWhat a blog title!! Fitting for the month of October, I suppose. Sounds like the hat added some levity to the visual aspect of your Skype conversation.
If I may cast my vote, I say that both YOU and PHILIP have been *stars* during this long separation, and I commend you both. Hang in there. Go about each day doing what needs to be done, and soon you will be under the same roof. God bless you!

Laura said...

Towoo Wuuv "do you think this happens all the time?"

So Joy, how do you handle the rodents of unusual size (ROUS)of the fire swamp? Your Philip will save you!!

November 1st, not too far away now. Love to you both.

cpearson said...

The first time I was at your blog, the "rodent" picture didn't fill in, and I think I kinda skipped over that paragraph. Yuck!! Hopefully we don't have to see that artwork when we visit you in D.C.