Saturday, 2 April 2011

bits & bobs

bits & bobs is a very English phrase.  kind of like "this and that".  for instance, you would say your "miscellaneous drawer" (US) was filled with "bits and bobs" (UK. . . but referring to the actual items inside).  that's this post:  this and that.

here are a couple of pictures from last weekend.  on Saturday J. had her bridal shower.  I'm so excited - the baby is due on my birthday.  It's coming SO SO SO soon.  Philip and I are so incredibly excited to watch M&J as parents - they are going to be incredible.   Philip has started being obligated to "donate" his Saturdays to the US government, so the drill started last week: we get up early, I drive him to base,  take the car, do whatever errands I need to do during the day and then drive back and pick him up.  Not awesome, but it could be much worse -- and I really shouldn't complain at all. 


Last Sat. after I picked him up we headed into DC to an "Asian appetizer" party at two of my classmates' house.  The evening was filled with lots of laughter.

above:  Rachel gives a HILARIOUS, spot-on immitation of the man who is the bane of our existence this semester:  our (VERY eccentric) statistics prof

                                                               hooray party games!!!! 

It's been a pretty run-of-the-mill week.  EXCEPT for the fact that my poor baby brother was playing bball this week and ended up with a really rare fracture in his front sinus (forehead area) - he passed out and it was just not cool AT ALL.  He'll be having surgery this next week - praying that goes well.

After I knew he was okay, I sent him a text on Wed saying:
I'm not sure I can handle you getting so much attention from mom and dad w/ this stupid surgery.  maybe i need to cook something exciting up to shift the focus on to me. hahahaha.

He texted back:
lol!!! Please don't try to one-up me.  I'd like to bask in this one for a while.  I'll call you after the interview tomorrow. . .

What a stupid stupid thing for me to say, right?  (don't panic mom, I'm FINE. . .)  At the time of writing I thought it was funny as I had ZERO tolerance for Josh to be an attention sponge when he entered this world.  After four and a half years of basking in only childness, it was a rude awakening for me to say the least.  We joke about it now but seriously things I said/did as a child in the name of attention are in my eyes 39% humorous and  61% HUMILIATING (sorry, there conveniently is no time for examples right now. . .)  However I also had that "hmmm, am i tempting fate by even making this joke" thought. . . .

Today I definitely had a kind of scary, near miss.  I was driving to Andrews to go to the commissary before I picked Philip up.  It had been raining really hard but had prettymuch stopped.  I was cruising along with traffic, hovering around the speed limit.  Out of the corner of my eye I see a car hit an SUV and suddenly the SUV loses control and is careening straight toward the passenger side of my car. Fast.  THANKFULLY there was no one behind or in the lane to the left of me - I tried to swerve to miss the oncoming SUV but due to how slippery the freeway was the car literally an entire late over and one car length forward.  The SUV missed me by an inch or two.  SCARY.  After my heart stopped pounding, I said a prayer of gratitude for being spared from the time/expense/pain from any injury I could have sustained. I also said a prayer of thanks that we wouldn't have to replace the car (we are currently shopping for a cheap 2nd vehicle and not having a real easy time. . . having to get 2 vehicles would be  really not a fun experience for us [or the "vehicle fund" in our no-frills budget plan] right now . . .).  So while it was a ho-hum Saturday filled with errands and running back and forh from base, I am VERY grateful that I (and our vehcile) are fully intact.  Things I take for granted far too often:  travel safety - my health (and that of my family members) - reliable, working vehilces.

No comments: