Wednesday, 6 April 2011

statistics lie


I am sitting outside Old Main taking a quick breath of the beautiful fresh air before I head back in side for the last two hours of statistics studying for the evening.  I just finished hours 1-3 of studying.  2 more to go.  I have been going to study groups an hour each week (two hours yesterday morning) and working on my own for the last month and a half getting ready for this test.  Sadly, our exams are more about SEMANTICS than they are STATISTICS, so tomorrow may feel like a bit of a crap shoot.  So, if you're the praying type and think of me,  you can say a prayer for me at 10 am Eastern time :)

I'm thankful for the break b/c I just got to talk to my brother as he was being wheeled into surgery.  They are doing the procedure now and may release him tonight.  My parents and his girlfriend are with him.  I teased him and told him that I was sad I couldn't be there to watch the general anasthetic wear off to see him say ridiculous things.  Earlier today my dad fainted watching them press on Josh's head/talk about the procedure.  When my dad went down, Josh was then down for the count as well. . .  so funny (but feeling genuinely bad for them b/c my dad feels pretty gross right now. . . and, well  Josh is having a specialist surgeon cut a hole in his head. . . so that sucks too).  Praying for an uneventful, undramatic procedure.  Quick recovery (this is not a cool time in the semester to have to be missing classes/exams! okay, when you're an engineering student NO time is a good time to miss ANYTHING.  EVER.  and, well, my mom doesn't believe in missing school for any reason other than being dead.  [not even joking. . . I went back to school and gave an oral report in class the day I had 2 of my wisdom teeth taken out. . . I learned my lesson when they did the other side and passed out as I was leaving the dentist --- though, I was worried and annoyed they didn't let me just drive back to school that time. --- clearly I'm display characteristics of both of my parents])

Orevwa.

2 comments:

cpearson said...

I only had a basic statistics class in college. About the only thing I came away with was the realization that you can make a group of numbers support just about any viewpoint.
Have been praying for you as you prepare for the test. You may be walking to the bldg. as I type this, or seated with pen or pencil in hand.
You're right - not too many excuses worked for missing class. You may not know, however, that one of your high school teachers got an "ear full" from me one time when a comment was made about you missing class. It may have been around the wisdom tooth time.
I hope you can enjoy some warm D.C. sunshine after the test.
Sending love from the rest of your family in Iowa :)

Joy. said...

okay, so when i wrote that i wasn't thinking about the fact that I missed 40% of junior high and highschool for dr. appts. . . you're amazing mom