and then the day came. it was not fun. not knowing if you will see your spouse ever again is a horrible horrible feeling and i know you have to think positive blah blah blah but the fear is real. the actual leaving day was only rivaled by the day I came home in April to a stack of three "if something happens to me" letters sitting on the table - I know it's necessary. we do it every time. you try to intellectualize and compartmentalize as you go through the paces of preparing the will and all of the other stuff but it still makes me want to sob and vomit every time.
departure day is a very complex amalgam of fear, anxiety, sorrow. it's not fun. and like Philip has always said "the first night is the hardest." we spent the day at BWI - great to have the day together (though spending a few hours in airport lines was not fun) but also kind of hard. we went to Andrews in the morning, weapons were issued and we headed to the airport. that night i pulled it together, drove home (amazingly not sobbing). i drove home, the beginnings of summer night wind whipping through the windows and as i pulled onto the interstate I listened to Pink singing "Just Give Me A Reason" --- in that moment she was right on - I felt bent but I knew I would not break.
Wednesday, 17 July 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That was a looong day - in more ways than one. May 13, 2013. You both are so brave. I'm so proud of Philip and Joy Lere.
There I was trying to kill time while the beef jerky finishes drying (to send to one fine soldier) and I see you have written again after a hiatus. Welcome back!
You are amazing.
Hello! I have been reading your blog for quite some time. I know it may seem weird being that we have never met but I feel like I know you in that I'm on a similar military adventure myself. I found your blog through Jenny F. (who I also don't know..ha!) and I found her blog through another dear military friend. So there's the back story to how I came across yours ;) I am in your shoes at the moment as my husband is 9 months in to his 365 deployment in Afghanistan. I feel exactly as you do, nervous, anxious, optimistic, distracted, trying to stay positive, relying on my military friends and neighbors, sheepishly asking for favors but not wanting to do so, the list goes on and on. My blog has been neglected as I just haven't felt the desire to write like I once did. But any way, I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that I'm fellow 365 sister and am always available for virtual chats :) Take care! ~Bridget
Post a Comment