Thursday, 25 July 2013

The Last Day

July 3, 2013 was my last day of class ever.

It was weird.  Surreal.  A relief.  Bittersweet.  Odd. Exciting. Emotional.

My journey at GW began while Philip was in Iraq.  It ended with him in Afg.  It was sad not being able to share the victory of crossing the finish line with him - I seriously would not have made it through the meat grinder that has been the last three years of our life without his commitment, solidarity, sacrifice and EXTREME grace.

I also know that I was able to book end my academic journey a hop skip and jump away from the White House because I have parents who have sacrificed for me in myriad ways during my 23 years as a student.  They taught me to value, enjoy, appreciate and not ever take for granted the opportunities that I have had to learn and grow inside of a classroom throughout my life.   I've always loved school.  Yes, there are times I've felt pretty burnt out and haven't enjoyed aspects of school (ahem, spending EVERY WEEKEND WRITING. . . blegh. . .) but I will always love learning.  I know my time at GW was a pretty incredible opportunity and while the last three years have been, in many respects, three of the most challenging in my life to-date - I would do it all over again.  I know that I have grown as a clinican and matured/grown as an individual in pretty remarkable ways and for this I am grateful.

The last week of classes, both my mom and I were getting pretty sentimental and took a peek back at where the journey began. . .





And where it drew to a close. . .




 I'll do a more flowery, sentimental exegesis on my academic journey when graduation rolls around.  Right now I'm sitting in a Starbucks in east Denver feeling really exhausted and a lil tired of living out of a suitcase. . . but SO EXCITED TO SEE MY PARENTS IN THE MORNING!!!!!!

1 comment:

cpearson said...

Well written, Joy.
And...we are EXCITED also for your arrival here. We will even let you get up in the morning, eat your breakfast, and go back to bed :)