Sunday, 26 July 2009

Weekend in Germany

I'm a week behind, but last Saturday & Sunday I got to go visit Philip in Germany while he was there on an assignment for work for part of the month. We had a great couple of days, though the fact that I left the house at 4am on Saturday morning and didn't sleep on the flight over left me in sleep deficit for the 36 hours we got to spend together.

I flew into Frankfurt and we drove a couple of hours to visit some family friends of the Leres. When they began their work in Mexico, they started in a very rural Indian village where they worked alongside German doctors who were beginning a clinic in the area. We visited this family on Saturday at their home in Tubingen. They have a daughter our age who is finishing medical school who I also got to meet. We looked at a lot of old slides from Mexico that Dr. Schmalenbach brought out. We had a wonderful afternoon remembering and reminiscing - my favorite picture of was the Lere & Schmalenbach kids playing together. The oldest Schmalenbach daughter had arranged a wedding between her little sister and Philip - it was ADORABLE.

Tubingen is a bit of a German equivilant of Boulder ;) (England has Brighton, the US has Boulder, Germany has Tubingen) - hippie university towns. Love them. We meandered around for the afternoon and enjoyed the festival that was happening in the town's square.
The town square in Tubengin. My favorite part was that there was a Bavarian band playing outside. Only in Europe. . .

This is in front of one of the oldest buidlings in the city. The annex of this house used to be the bathroom where the, well. . . ahem, you know. . . was just dumped out the window to the river below. Charming.

1 comment:

cpearson said...

Hello,
Thanks for sharing the Germany photos. I liked the top one with the colorful roofs and houses (or apartment buildings?. I wouldn't want the window washing job, however. I chuckled at the "arranged wedding" story. Little did Philip know about all the "arranging" going on :) Also liked the "Letting Go" from your previous blog.