Tuesday, 22 March 2011

if you play with fire, you're apt to get burned. . .

I grew up in a household where gambling was a big moral no-no. 

Case in point:  one of my favorite stories that my parents tell about my brother growing up (I sure as heck didn't see it at the time but he truly was an ADORABLE kid and the things he did/said when he was little [which my mom recorded faithfully in a journal. . . it's like her scrapbooking/picture taking from day 1 - priceless] make me excited to have little kids (I'm PRAYING that my kids will be more like Josh and more like my husband - easy and even tempered and not cantankerous and like I was. . . I know that if I have a child like me (which I'm sure will be my fate) I'm prettymuch screwed)



This is Philip's brother David & my brother Josh when they were little guys. . .  how sweet are they?!?!

A "Josh story" that illustrates this no-gamble norm in our household is as follows. . .
I have an aunt and uncle who live in Redwood Falls who we would visit a couple of times each year.  There is a casino about 15 minutes from Redwood.  When Josh was 4 1/2 we were on the way home from Redwood, and I noticed the spotlights in the sky that the casion used to beam into the sky to draw attention.  I asked about the lights and my dad started explaining it to me.  When he was done, Josh chimed in "  "Yeah, that's from the place where people lose all their money."  Evidently that is how dad had quickly described it to Josh a year earlier when we had to drive right past it during a road construction detour.  Josh was probably saying it in his cute little stuttery voice (another thing I teased him about. . . I marvel that I turned out to be the mentally distrubed/damaged one in the family and not him after the abuse I subjected that poor kid to!)

I have recently taken a stupid gamble.  And I've done it twice.  I sear NEVER AGAIN.

I gambled on peaches.  They looked so perfect in the store, but I got them home and they were mealy and GROSS.  Idiotically, I tried again the next week.  Same thing. SUCH DISSAPOINTMENT!  I've decided that there will be no more out-of-season peach buying for Joy.  I will have to wait until this summer. Sad.



tangential peach story. . . shortly after this incident a friend posted on facebook that she couldn't wait for peach season, I instantly cliked like and typed "me too!!!!"  and then I started reading other peoples' comments.  Just above mine my friend had written "I love how all of my pregnant friends commented on this post".  I got a little bit scared.  Thankfully I turned out to just be a non-pregnant friend who also appreciates good fruit. . .

2 comments:

cpearson said...

Hey, I'm enjoying the more frequent posts as of late. This one had quite a few twists and turns and had me nervous by the time you talked about your own gamble. I must report that I am relieved that the gamble was just a couple dollars on some fruit. And I must report that lately I've been dreaming about things from my garden - first the asparagus, then some rhubarb, and then SWEET strawberries.....

Laura said...

I hate that peaches often look good and turn out terrible. I wouldn't call it a gamble-it's a known risk. I agree with your mom, glad you're writing here again.