Philip and I started our day with a visit to Arlington National Cemetery and watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I had thought that it would be a really good way to start the day out on a note of thanksgiving. And it was. You want to talk about a 99%/1% split in the world today? I'm humbled that there is a minute percentage of the population baring the burden of two wars so that the rest of us can live day-to-day lives without much care and concern. There are families who had an empty place at the table this afternoon so that we can live in a country where most peoples' biggest worries this week will be where they will be in the line to Best Buy at 4 am tomorrow morning.
As I listened to our pastor talk about his trip to Cuba last week as we sat around the table for our meal today, I thought of the nation of people whose ration cards allow them to go and collect a chunk pig fat to eat for the week (okay, yes they get a kilo of rice and beans for the month and some salt if they can find it on the black market but I mean really. . . we can't begin to imagine). Right now my father-in-law is in Pakistan, and I am reminded also how truly fortunate I am to live in a country where I don't have to fear for my life because of my faith. It's something I so take for granted. I'm not trying to be a downer or critical, but I was reminded today of the of the huge price of our freedom and how big of a deal that term really is. I am truly blessed. And in that blessing, I am aware that I bare a great burden of responsibility. . .
Philip and I are back at home. He is just stirring from his tryptophan-induced nap and I am wrapping up my paper writing quota for the evening. I am so thankful for this man. His endless sacrifices for me. His unconditional love and patience.
Thank you, Father, for the abundance of blessing in my life. It is my prayer that in my life and my world, it is You who receives the glory and acknowledgement for every good and perfect thing.
1 comment:
Thank you for your "thankfulness" blog. I liked your choice of Thanksgiving morning activity, and loved that you could be with part of your church family for dinner. Love, Mom
Post a Comment