I thought I would give a work update. As soon as we got back from Italy, I began a new position working on the occupational therapy team. This means that instead of crazy shifts, I got to start working full time M-F (plus the 2 hours a day I commute. . . :) It was such a blessing in so many ways. The shift thing was starting to take it's toll in the Lere home as Philip and I would see each other as one of us rolled out of bed and wouldn't see each other again until we fell back into it 16 hours later. My favorite part of this new position is all of the work I get to do in group settings. I get to work on developing material for and facilitating therapy groups throughtout the day which I LOVE LOVE LOVE.
The other week (before I started the new OT position), the girls were bored one night and asked if they could straighten my hair. I laughed and said "of course." I warned them that it would take a long time (they reminded me that all they have is time :) The girls got a real kick out of it. The only other time I've ever straightened my hair was in Colorado Springs while I was at Focus Institute - it took TWO HOURS. It was so funny when I came home from work - Philip kept looking at me. He said "you kiss like my wife but you sure don't look like her." He had to keep reminding himself that it was okay to have this woman with straight hair in his house as she still was his wife.
Each week the girls who are permitted on their care plan (provided they're at a safe weight to be out of the clinic) have a Thursday "out and about." Everyone loves this time of the week. Part of the new position is working with Sarah (the Occupational Therapist) to plan this and take the girls out. We've done some fun stuff - it's a great cultural experience for me as we just do "normal" British things. This week we had an extra special treat: we went to the Norfolk Royal Theatre and saw Beauty and the Beast. Seeing a life theatrical performance was wonderful but it definitely made my heart ache to be back on stage again!
This weekend was consumed by working on a paper for my ethics class. I actually had a GREAT time and the research was incredibly interesting. I wrote about involuntry treatment of Anorexia. It's a complex issue because refusal of treatment and denial of a problem is common in treatment of EDs (often because a client is fearful that treatment will mean gaining weight which they will avoid at all costs - even if it is death). I talked about the clash of values of respecting an individual's right to refuse treatment and the ethical responsibility to protect a vunerable individual from harm. The topic was especially interesting because in the UK mental health law regulates choice for adults. For instance, if an ill patient checks herself out of a voluntary treatment program (like where I work) she will be followed up on with a mental health practitioner, will be assessed and can actually be placed in compulsory treatment legislated by the law if her life is deemed in danger.
Joy's hair history:
straight (Colorado summer 2006)
blonde & curly for college theatre performance (winter 2006)
2 comments:
hi there dearest JOY! I love the hair fun at work and more importantly so glad to hear you're bonding with your girls there! Great to hear and see some pics! :)
I'm picturing those girls giggling and having great fun as they give you a new "do." For a couple hours they forgot about their struggles, and worked on their project. You are a great sport. You are working in that location, for such a time as this.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment