On Monday one of my dear friends from Northwestern arrived in England. We were "sorority sisters" (we joke that the house we lived in our third/senior/final year in school was a sorority house because there were 7 girls living under one roof --- mind you this is a bit comical because I went to a verrry conservative school where we weren't even allowed to consume alcohol the entire time we were enrolled as students ---- yes, I am living proof that you can get through college and have a wonderful time w/o a single drop of alcohol. . .) She and I planned a "girl trip" a couple of months ago when she decided that she'd like to get away and come from Oregon for a visit.
Philip had the day off for Veteran's Day yesterday, so the three of us went into London for the day. We had a great time. We went up on the towers of the London Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. It was crazy walking around the Tower of London knowing that historic figures like Henry the VIII had walked in the same place. We had a really great tourguide - there are 35 yeomen warders ("beefeaters") who actually live in the tower with their families who share the stories with the tourists -- we learned that the yeomen warders have to serve 22 years in the military before they can be considered for the job. The yoemen warder who showed us around was very very funny.
Today I took Destiny to Cambridge for the day. We toured the University colleges and she had her "fish & chips" / pub experience at a very unique location -- the pub I took her to is one that was frequented by US pilots during WW2 - the tradition was for everyone to sign the ceiling with their name and squadron --- it makes for a pretty cool historic location. I was excited - I can finally navigate Cambridge without a map!!!
Tomorrow we are leaving for 3 days in Prague followed by 4 in Budapest. You can say a prayer for our safety and that we have an "uneventful" trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment