
A typical Thursday afternoon at the clinic includes an "out & about" in the therapeutic program. Pretty much, Sarah (the OT) and I get to take the girls out of the clinic to do fun stuff. Today she took a few girls to see "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and I stayed back with the newer patients who aren't at a stable enough point to be, well, out and about.
Sarah & I sorted out who would go and who would stay last night. Driving home I was trying to think of something that wouldn't make the afternoon completely suck for the girls who were unhappy about being stuck in the clinic. I decided we could have a girlie afternoon. I knew a few of them were fellow fans of Friends, so I brought in part of my set. This morning I ran out and picked up a french manicure set and then played beautician. It was an enjoyable afternoon for all.
I do feel a bit guilty though - who gets to watch Friends and paint nails all afternoon at work?? (I suppose the same people who spend their lunch consoling crying clients at the table and chasing after the people who attempt to dash away from the table trying to refuse, spit out or puke up their food. Meanwhile, most of the world tries to take at least a few mintues to relax and get away from the nagging phone, to-do list and inbox while they eat their lunch. It's just where the work really happens in a place like Newmarket House. . . and as soon as one meal is over you gear up for snack and everyone gets ready to do it all over again). I do feel like I'm robbing the world by getting paid for what I do though. Seriously. I am so grateful for this opportunity. I saw a former patient today and got a huge hug - that's one of the best feelings in the world.
1 comment:
Joy, you are awesome. I'm proud of you! Your Mum
Post a Comment