Wednesday, 17 February 2010

is your mommy home?

Remember when you were little and you weren't supposed to tell strangers on the phone or at the door that your parents actually weren't home. You were supposed to make up some lame excuse as to not disclose that you were alone and usually it was something embarrassing like, "I'm sorry. She can't talk to you right now because she's going to the bathroom."


I have to say, I haven't been asked if my parents were home in a long time. I've always looked at least my age if not older. Recently I've started not to be included when someone addresses the "young people" in a full room (and try not to be insulted). Apparently tonight when I answered the door in my leggings and my Focus on the Family Institute shirt talking on the phone in the middle of making dinner I looked like a twelve year-old.

Some man was going through the neighborhood selling paintings. I opened the door and the first thing he said to me was, "are your parents home?"

Needless to say, he wasn't invited inside (of course for more reasons than that he insinuated that I was a child. . . I'm smart), and I didn't purchase any new paintings this evening.

"Are your parents home?" Are you JOKING ME?!?!?!? I'm going to color my hair to hide my three gray hairs tonight. . .

Thanks. . . I think. I guess it's kind of like getting your ID checked. . . but not.

1 comment:

cpearson said...

That is too funny! Just give yourself a few more years, and you will consider it a wonderful complement when someone makes a remark that makes you younger than you really are. You could have told the gentleman that you were pretty sure your parents were home, dialed us on the phone, and then we could have made arrangements for him to come to Minnesota to give his pitch for the paintings. Maybe if his price came down like the aerial photos of our farm did at each subsequent visit, we would buy one on his third visit!!! Thanks for entertaining me this evening. I love you xxooxx Your Mum