Saturday, 9 January 2010

If home is where my husband is, I'm not sure where I am right now

I'm back. I'm recovering. I've had two days back at work and am feeling into the swing of things.
Highlights of my journey back to the United Kingdom:
* not being allowed to take my carry-on luggage with me in Detroit (as many passagers with bags of equal size rolled past me onto the jetway) --- not wanting our new laptop to be thrown around in checked baggage I had to carry it and my pillow awkwardly and just buy another bag (stupid!)

* sitting on the plane in Detroit a couple of hours while they deiced the plane two separate times (wasn't done completely the first time)

* having no layover in Amsterdam and RUNNING through the airport to make my connection to London

* my flight to London being delayed

* my luggage being lost when I arrived in London (my carryon still sitting in Detroit, my main bag somewhere in Amsterdam)

I was SO SO SO SO SO grateful that I was able to catch the shuttle back to base. I had left my cell phone in the UK so had no way to ring someone to pick me up at the Underground station if I missed the shuttle and had to take the Tube. I got to Terminal 3 in just enough time to see the shuttle drive by and pull into it's waiting area. It was by God's grace ALONE that I got onto that bus. I slept all of 3 hours the whole trip (probably from being anxious about making connections and my luggage).

When I got back to Mildenhall, I took care of some buerocratic drama we had with the post office when we were gone (nighmare!!!), took care of things with our old property management company (last time I have to see them again! Hooray!), got groceries, came home and CRASHED.

I had taken a day off of work to recover/receive our broadband equipment on the Wednesday. Well, needless to say I've spent MULTIPLE HOURS on the phone with our internet provider the last several days as the equipment was never delivered and no one seemed to know where it was at or when it would get here. I was frustrated to the point of TEARS on several occasions. I just wanted to Skype with my husband. I just wanted to be able to get my homework done. I just wanted to be back in America where things like that take days rather than MONTHS. . . God was gracious to me and this morning an angel dressed in a Royal Mail uniform rang my doorbell at 8 am and mysteriously dropped off the equipment. I was SOOOO happy. I finally can call and email my family!

I've had some very short, limited contact with Philip. He doesn't have much access to any means of communication and when he does he's in a public place, but it's been wonderful to hear his voice the few minutes I've been able to have it. He's settling into Army barrack life. . . he shares a room with 20 of his enlisted guys. . . Party.

No comments: