Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Word of the day: Gratefulness

I am sitting on my couch overhwlemed by greatfulness for so many things tonight. This evening I had the opportunity to help out watching a room full of toddlers (25!) @ a Protestant Women of the Chapel event (each military base chapel has a PWOC that provides bible studies for women -- it's a tremendous ministry). I was so encouraged to see so many women gathered together hungry and thirsty for the Hope we profess. These women are craving connection and they're in the right place to connect w/ other women in similar situations looking to the One who can truly give them strength and peace.

I had a good chat w/ our Chaplin tonight who was there picking up his wife and daughter. He was checking in on Philip and reminded me that if I needed anything to let them know. He also looked around midsentence and said, "or any of the ladies in this room". It's true. The Lord has given me such a tremendous support network. It's a blessing knowing they are there and actually being comfortable enough to ask any one of them for help (which is always hard but can feel awkward when I fight with myself thinking, "okay this is easy for you - you don't have kids - most of these women manage on their own with a house full of kids!!!!"

My "I'm greatful for. . ." of the day was that my final bag of luggage arrived --- more importantly, the text book that I need to catch up/finish my major school project the next 10 days arrived! I was so excited to see it sitting in my living room when I got home tonight.

Finally, I'm grateful for the Word. I'll be real with you: since leaving Northwestern my quiet time has not been anywhere close to what I want it/need it to be. I was challenged by some things preached in Paul & Laura's church when I was in Breck (their church is getting ready to read through the Bible in 90 days). I decided that since I have plenty of time and space that it would be my goal to make it through the Bible cover to cover before Philip returns in September. As of last night I'm part way through Exodus. . . don't get me wrong, it's not a legalistic, check-it-off-the-list thing but I know about myself that I do quiet time the best when it's scheduled and regular. I remember what a comfort it was retreating into the small prayer chapel on 3rd floor Knuha my second year at NWC to prayer journal and spend time in the world. I did it not because I HAD to, but because I knew that no matter how tired or stressed or busy or overwhelmed I was I NEEDED to do it, so it just became what I did. It was precious time. I'm excited to be getting that preciousness back into my time in the Word.

1 comment:

cpearson said...

Great project and goal!!!! The Bible in 90 days - that's hoofin' it. Might be the best way to do it. I'm cheering you on. Love, Mom